Most people do not stop to think about the food they give to their dogs. You may be one of them, but now branching out and looking for the best dog food that is a little more healthy. Believe me, the package may look tempting and with veterinarians and dog breeders smile on the cover, you are not hard to convince.
But stop for a moment and consider the wild dog's diet. Dogs are naturally pack animals and so they hunt in packs. They can bring down a large animal, as large as a cow, with their combined efforts. Then they all gather around, with a lot of growling and snarling and consumes most of the carcasses, bones and all. Perhaps the only part left is a patch of the nail. Are you able to accept this idea, that's how dogs are evolved.
Let's look at some of the differences between a wild dog's diet and commercial dog food, a diet most dogs exist on
A wild diet, healthy dog food, consisting of:
- Raw food
- Lots of raw bones
- Internal organs are consumed, but this is rare compared to the muscle meat
- Carbohydrates are limited to the contents of the stomach, so is small in the overall content
A typical commercial dog food consists of:
- Cooked food (lots of vitamins, enzymes, and other nutrients are destroyed by cooking)
- Poor meat (often very poor) quality (humans get a good thing)
- Carbohydrates, sugar, in particular, is a major part of the food
- Food enriched with a strong preservative (not allowed in human food for adverse effects on health) – despite what THE LABEL SAYS